People's Protective Equipment
Front line health care providers are lacking sufficient personal protective equipment (PPE) to keep themselves safe while treating patients. We are making face shields to help provide a first line of defense. We have already made and given away more than 6,000 shields and are ramping up to make 20,000 more. If you or someone you know is on the frontlines of fighting COVID-19 and would like a shield, you can
REQUEST SHIELDS HERE.
Our face shield is called the CapShield. Designed to be easy to assemble and mass produce with the supplies that are currently available, the CapShield consists of two parts: a polycarbonate shield and a regular ol' baseball cap. The shield and cap can easily be detached (and reattached) for cleaning. The shield can be disinfected with an alcohol wipe or soap and water, and the cap can be cleaned like any other piece of laundry. Here's a video of a registered nurse and CapShield user explaining how.
Additionally, the design is entirely open source. In fact, we have an instructable here that explains how to make them (including all necessary design files).
Where can I learn more / see the CapShield in action?
Check out our Pictures & Press page. It has pictures of the CapShields being used all over the country, as well as them being assembled.
How can I help?
We're so glad you asked!
- If you're a healthcare professional interested in using the CapShield – first of all, thank YOU – please fill out this form. We'd love to hook you up with some free CapShields!
- One of the hardest parts of making so many CapShields is acquiring the raw materials. If you know anyone with .03 inch thick polycarbonate sheets or clean baseball caps available for donation or purchase, please send us an email!
- If you're in the Bay Area and have a CNC router or just a good old fashioned pair of hands to lend to help assemble the CapShields, please send us an email! We're currently working with a distributed model of production, and appreciate all the help we can get.
- While all CapShields are distributed free of charge to our devoted healthcare professionals, unfortunately they're not free to make. All donations large and small are greatly appreciated, and can be made at our GoFundMe page.
- Lastly, spread the word! You never know who might be able to help, or could just use a piece of good news in these trying times.
Links & Contact Info
If you'd like to get in touch, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you're a healthcare professional interested in getting some CapShields, please fill out this form.
#pandemic #covid19 #mutualaid #PPE #healthcare